The NYC Gathering

The NYC Gathering
Our Community

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Adoption on TV: "Modern Family" or "Parenthood"? - Martha Nichols - Open Salon

In drawing parallels to adoption and how far it has come in public support and acceptance as compared to third party reproduction and parenting, I am struck with this comment by the author.


"I long for a form of community my own tiny family of three doesn't have."


I wish families created through donor conception and surrogacy had half the community and resources that are available to adoptive families.


In the comments, someone says "And Julia, I lost count of how many times they said "buying" a baby. That sounds so crude. Even if it is partially true, paying for medical care and legal expenses could constitute buying, I can't imagine the "talk" they will have with their adopted child. "Honey, we wanted you so much, money was no object. We paid top dollar!."


http://open.salon.com/blog/martha_nichols/2011/10/27/adoption_on_tv_modern_family_or_parenthood

No comments:

Post a Comment