The NYC Gathering

The NYC Gathering
Our Community

Monday, January 25, 2010

What is the NYC Gathering 1.25.10

The NYC Gathering is the name I gave the meetings I was holding, starting in 2002, when I couldnt find a support group to fit my needs and started my own. Instead of putting "DE" in the subject line I found out that people preferred not to have that info so easily seen on their email and the name stuck.

Here is how I define it today and what you will find listed on this Blogspot/Webpage.

The NYC Gathering Womens Dinners in Midtown-someone just asked me why dont we include men. And what do we do at a womens dinner. We cover whatever anyone wants, whatever point they are at in their journey. Unless there is a specific topic listed, almost every group I run is for people on the spectrum of third-party familiy-building, from considering it, trying to conceive, to parenting. We open the group up on occasion to professionals to make presentations, ie Lisa Schuman speaking on Adoption vs DE, or to learn and offer their support and expertise, ie Elizabeth Silk and others.

As for the Women Only part-We can try a mixed dinner. Please feel free to contact me to discuss it.

The NYC Gathering All-inclusive is for anyone on the spectrum as noted above, and anyone you want to bring that is interested in the process for themselves, to support you, as a friend or family member and kids. The kids usually get involved in their own stuff, playing or whatever, and the grown-ups hang-out. For me this is about friendship, creating community, new connections, support and something for our kids, so they will be able to know each other and be there for each other too. A new addition to the NYC Gathering is the professionally-led workshop. I will also be putting together a new list of volunteers who have offered to do individual peer-support for anyone new who would like to talk to another person about their experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment