The NYC Gathering

The NYC Gathering
Our Community

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Language

A very important topic to me is the language we use around 3rd Party Reproduction and Parenting.Not only does it educate others, I think it helps us to assimilate and accept what is not always an easy concept for many people to wrap their head around.

Diane Ehrensaft, in her book "Mommies, Daddies, Donors, Surrogates", coined a phrase for what to call the donor, "Genetic Other". Its a favorite of mine although this is not complete for me so I am still on an inner quest to further define what a donor is to ME-before anyone actually legislates one. Lets not even go there.

Another one about parent and child is from Marna Gatlin at PVED.org:

Natural Child: Any child who is not artificial.
Real Parent: Any parent who is not imaginary.
Your Own Child: Any child who is not someone else's.
Adopted Child (or add something else here): A natural child, whose parents are not imaginary, and is our own.

Marna just wrote a great article that she posted on the PVED blog.
The title is "I'm The Mom, I'm The Mom, I'm The Mom"!

Here is a link.

http://tpvedo.blogspot.com/2009/05/im-mom-im-mom-im-mom.html

No comments:

Post a Comment